Sit straight stretching your legs straight. And then bend fully till your fingers touch your leg fingers. This is the true definition of proper Paschimmattasana. This asana seems very easy to perform but if you are not habituated with this asana you would find it difficult to perform this yoga posture. The term ‘Paschimottanasana’ a Sanskrit word where Paschima means west or back, Uttana means intense stretch and asana means pose or position. And thus the whole word stands for Pashimattasana.
Things you must know before performing the asana
Before performing Paschimattasa make sure that your stomach is empty and you have taken your meals at least 6 hours before your time for performing this asana. This is to make sure that your consumed food has been digested and you have secure enough energy to perform this asana.
Steps to do Paschimottanasana
- Sit straight, stretch your legs keeping straight and flex your toes.
- Next, inhale, stretch your arm straight towards the ceiling.
- Exhale and start bending forward. Feel the fold of the under waist hip joints. Bend till your chin comes closure to your toes.
- Now stretch your arm to reach the farthest point they can. Do not pressure much. It is better if you find your arms are reaching your toes properly.
- Inhale and lift your head little elongating your spine.
- Now exhale and try to move you naval near your knees.
- Repeat this whole procedure for 4 to 5 times.
- Then inhale and come back to your previous position.
- Exhale and lower your arms.
- By performing this yoga asana regularly ovaries, kidneys, liver, and uterus are activated.
- This asana is very helpful in reducing belly fat.
- This asana helps the mind to stay calm and removes stress and depression.
- By performing this asana the shoulders and spines get a good
- Those who suffer from high blood pressure, insomnia, infertility would be immensely benefitted by doing this asana regularly.
- This asana improves digestion and menstrual discomfort such as menopause would be removed by this asana.
- This very asana decreases obesity and increases appetite.
Restrictions: Avoid this asana if you have diarrhea, asthma or any kind of back injury. Pregnant women are highly prohibited from doing this asana. Please make sure that you perform this very yoga posture under any experienced yoga trainer or yoga expert for better and fast result.
Featured Image Source: sarvyoga.com