An age-old Supta restorative reclining yoga asana, Supta Baddha Konasana requires the hips and the legs flexibility, specifically the groin and inner thighs muscles. The name is taken from the Sanskrit word- ‘Supta’ which means ‘reclining’ and ‘bound’ which means ‘bound’, ‘kona’ means ‘angke’ and ‘asana’ which means posture and pose.
This yoga asana can be entered while you seated. The soles of the feet are brought along together, along with the knees bend to either side. The upper body is then made to lean back and along with the arms which rest comfortably along the sides of the body. Traditionally, the sputa buddha Kona Sana was said to have stimulated the sacral chakra or spleen.Thus, it is closely related to determination and creativity.
The asana is also known as the reclining Goddess pose or reclining bound angle pose in English.
How Do I Perform the Supta Baddha Konasana?
- Lie down in with ease, with your legs and back extended and the arms by your side, palms facing up towards the roof.
- Bend the knees in a way so as to bring the soles together, allowing them to touch. The outer pink edges of the feet ought t be resting on the ground. Let your legs open up and entertain the gravity to support the leg’s weight.
- Check with the body, if your groin and hips are feeling tight, you can then take the feet away from the body; or if you feel more open you can also bring your feet closer towards the body to deepen the stretch.
- Try relaxing the shoulders away from the ears, allowing your back body to sink deep into the mat. Maintain the pose for about 5 minutes, depending on how comfortable you are with it.
- To take yourself out from the pose, take the palms on the outer thighs to furtively fold the legs together, and bringing the soles of the feet on the mat. Thereafter, hug your knees to the chest, and slowly rock from one side to another to release the low back.
The Healing Powers of Supta Baddha Konasana
- On performing this asana, you can actually help your kidneys, prostate gland and bladder getting activated.
- It is known to boost up the blood circulation, besides stimulating the heart.
- It lends a good stretch to the inner thighs and groins.
- It relieves the muscle tension and reduces mental tension, insomnia, and fatigue.
- It is known to reduce the stress in the nervous system.
- It soothes out the reproductive and digestive system and cures irritable bowel syndrome, menopause, digestive problems, infertility and menstrual issues.
Supta Baddha Konasana is one of its kind and doles out miracle healing for several health issues. Try Supta Baddha Konasana to live a healthy life.The stimulating of sacral chakra through sputa baddha konasana is known to uplift productivity and concentration and foster inner faith and ansolutele acceptance.
Featured Image Source: yogajournal.com